January 17, 2012

Munching on Banana Island

Every time the topic of food is brought up, a friend of mine never fails to mention Banana Island so I of course I had to try it!  The menu has a mix of Singapore, Malaysia, and Thai food.  There were a lot of dishes to choose from so I just let my dear Banana Island expert do all the ordering.



Roti Canal



So the first thing that arrived on our table was the Roti Canal.  My friend told me this dish is probably what makes this place as great as it is.  The dish included Malaysian style Indian Pancake and curry dipping sauce.  The pancake was thin, crispy, a tad sweet, and simply delicious!  It was cool to learn they make it from scratch in the kitchen. The curry was bursting with flavor and went perfect with the pancake.



Malaysian style Indian Pancake


Next up was the Pineapple Fried Rice.  The display of the dish was wonderful!  It was served in a pineapple shell along with a tiny umbrella.  Quite adorable.  Although, I don't think it had enough pineapple to be called "Pineapple Fried Rice".  I practically had to dig and claim my pineapple chunks before my friend got to it.


Pineapple Fried Rice



I was more impressed with their Pad Thai.  The flavor was good and the noodles had a chewy texture that I loved!  A bit on the oily side but like Cathy said, I think Thai food is usually a bit heavier.



Pad Thai


Thai Iced Tea


We ended our lunch with Thai Iced Tea and just chatted over the drinks.  I think the best thing out of this meal was definitely the appetizer.  It was AMAZING!  I think I could have just eaten plates of Roti Canal for lunch.


Eaten by Jocelyn.

Banana Island
311 Lake Merced Boulevard
Daly City, CA 94015
http://www.bananaislanddalycity.com/

0 comments: