December 20, 2012

Japanese Curry at Aubergine

Curry
Pork Curry over Rice


Entrance


Aubergine is most famous for their Japanese curry!  And they have options where you can add soup, salad, and drinks, and, well...YES MAN!


Aubergine


Aubergine actually means eggplant,  but there's no eggplant on the menu.  One of life's greatest mysteries...


Salad with Japanese Dressing
Salad with Japanese style dressing


The Japanese-style (Wafu) dressing was lighter, and has a more of a sour/tangy afternote from the vinegar.

The lettuce was super fresh and crispy  and there were plenty of different veggies.  There were tomato, corn, and even alfalfa sprouts!  It was so good, I could have just eaten a whole big bowl of this salad!


Salad with Thousand Island Dressing
Salad with Thousand Island dressing


The thousand island dressing was very creamy, but surprisingly not heavy at all!  Though I still preferred the Japanese-style dressing.


French Onion Soup
French Onion Soup


Where is the cheese??  The soup had a really strong roasted onion flavor, but it would have been perfect with some melted cheese on top.


Corn Chowder
Corn Chowder Soup


The corn chowder was very rich and creamy, but I wished it had more corn in it.  In this bowl, there were maybe 4 pieces of corn.  Yeah, I counted.  Haha I know I must sound really bitter about these soups, but I was actually really surprised at how flavorful the soups were, considering that Aubergine specializes in curry.


Mulberry Vinegar Shots
Mulberry Vinegar Shots


Shots, everyone!  Gahh, I love these vinegar shots so much.  They don't have alcohol in them, but they have lots of vinegar!  So much so that when you swallow, you feel the burn.   
The mulberry tones it down by adding a nice fruity sweetness, making it similar to a sparkling juice!

These vinegar shots are often served with meals in Taiwan.  They cleanse your palate and supposedly open up your stomach for more food, in case you got full off of the soup and salad already.  Gotta warm-up before your main course!


Pitcher of Curry
Pitcher of Curry


Pouring the curry


I love playing with my food, so it was fun pouring the curry onto the rice and seeing some action! 

Japanese curry is much sweeter than Thai or Indian curry, and tends to be less spicy.  At Aubergine, you can choose your spiciness level from 1-5.  Being the strong independent woman that I am, I chose 1....Mild. HAHA.  


Curry Pork on Rice
Pork Curry over Rice


The pork was cooked perfectly!  It was so tender and delicious, it got me wondering how long it took them to prepare it...lots of love indeed!

I used to think that curry was the same whether at a restaurant or at home, as long as you don't water it down, but Aubergine changed my mind.  They used beef broth instead of water to make their curry, and not just to be fancy..you could definitely taste the difference!  It had more depth, and the rich flavor just lingered on your tongue like a little girl snuggled up in her blankets...yeah.


Mango Tea
Mango Tea
Lychee Tea
Lychee Tea


























Both teas were fruity and refreshing, a nice contrast to the curry. My favorite was the lychee tea! It tasted like those cute jellies I used to eat as a kid


Milk Pudding
Milk Pudding


And to officially end the meal...dessert!

I was super stuffed by this time, so I was glad that the milk pudding was very light.  It had a nice, mellow milk flavor, but it wasn't too dense.  Plus, it left a nice flavor in my mouth... think: exact opposite of garlic 


Window View Rainy Evening


This was the window view when we first got seated.  Then a salad, soup, mulberry vinegar shot, curry plate, fruit tea, and milk pudding later...


Window View Rainy Night


...ta-da!  Oh, how time flies when you're eating good food!




Aubergine Curry
Bistro 98, 3F
No. 98, Zhong Xiao E Road, Sec. 4
Taipei, Taiwan
(02) 6638-6889
http://aubergine.com.tw

0 comments: